Thursday, January 8, 2009

Video Killed the Radio Star

Just yesterday I found myself doing something in my car I hadn't done in a very long while. And not only did I do it, I did it twice within an hour or so.

The first time was in the parking lot of the Teeter in Ballston. I was just about ready to get out and face the walk across the parking lot in the rain when the urge hit me. I couldn't help myself, I just had to stay in my car for another couple of minutes.

And listen to The Police's "Don't Stand So Close To Me" all the way through. Yeah, that's right, I was listening to a song, what'd you think I was going to say?

Stewart Copeland on drums, Andy Summers on guitar and Sting on bass. Cool personified. Buried in a drawer somewhere at my dad's house is a worn out cassette copy of Zenyatta Mondatta. I used to listen to the hell out of that thing.

The urge overcame me again when I got home with my trunk filled with groceries. Just as I was about to turn the key a familiar guitar riff vibrated through my speakers and I was again stuck in the driver's seat bobbing to the sounds of Stealers Wheel's "Stuck in the Middle with You."

This song also brings back memories, memories of Mr. Blonde dancing toward a tied up Marvin Nash with a smile on his face and a straight razor in his hand. It's also kinda catchy when you get right down to it.

I can't remember the last time I did this: sat in my car just listening to a song.

Perhaps The Buggles are right, maybe video really has killed the radio star. With CDs, iPods and satellite radio, we can listen to whatever we want whenever we want. Maybe I'm alone here, but the randomness of the radio is something I still find charming. When a song you like comes up on the radio, it's like a visit from an old friend.

What old friends would get you dancing in your car while passersby stared?

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I recently caught some stares for cranking Gene Loves Jezebel (Desire) at a stoplight and rocking out.

Lemmonex said...

Couldn't agree more. There was this great little station when I was in Florida and every song I would yell "I haven't heard this in ages!" Well, duh. All I listen to is my ipod...which I load with the music I already have.

FoggyDew said...

charlotte - nothing quite like some 80s indie goth rock, just as long as no one calls the men in white coats on you.

Lemmy - The classic rock station here did the top 500 (twice) over New Years weekend. Lots of good songs (and lots and lots of Beatles) none of us have heard in a while.

Anonymous said...

After I split with my ex-wife, my dad drove down from Pittsburgh. He wanted to lay hands on me as telephonic assurances are often not enough for parents. We finally found a parking space downtown when the announcer on WPFW indicated that he was going to play the first track from a just released "lost" Bill Withers recording. We sat and listened to that song and the next three that the station played.

Thanks for bringing back that memory.

FoggyDew said...

Ref - No problem my friend. Who among us hasn't caught a whole song or just a snippet and been transported back to a happy time in our youth?

Lemon Gloria said...

I can't say I'm proud of this, but I've heard that Pina Colada song a couple times on the radio recently and been absolutely delighted.

FoggyDew said...

Lisa - Such a funny song. A guy looking for a little on the side because he's gotten bored, but he answers an ad from his lady who got bored with him. In the end, they find true love. Great tune, used to be in my Shuffle rotation.

rachaelgking said...

EVERYTHING. EVER. If I am in the car, I am singing. End O Story.

FoggyDew said...

LiLu - So it was you at that stoplight the other day, eh?

JoLee said...

for some reason, I can't seem to outgrow my 1300w 12" subwoofers and amps. you'd think that being almost 30 would make me give up the 1995 ghetto bass but I just can't do it. so, just about every song can get me rocking out in the car.