Monday, April 19, 2010

A trip to the Market, Eastern Market that is

Yes, yes, I know, this is kinda-sorta turning into photo blog. But, in my defense, I've been taking a lot of pictures lately (as my computer keeps telling me when it notifies me I'm running out of back-up space), and I like putting them up here.

The first bunch are from my walk around Eastern Market on Saturday. The weather was nice, cool but clear and, as long as you kept moving, not too, too cold. Perfect for a day of rummaging around through other peoples' junk looking for that overlooked treasure.

One thing I did notice about this set of pictures is I spent a lot of time looking either up or down. Very few of the shots (that I liked) were shot on the straight and level. And, in some cases, they're shot from a very low perspective.

Did anyone see my magic carpet? I know I parked it around here somewhere...

For some reason, this thing just creeped me out. The dress is nice, but is it really that exciting?

I liked this frog, but I didn't like it $119 worth.

Colors, reflections, what more could you ask for?

If you look very, very, very close, you can see me. Sorta.

Someone looks like they're not enjoying Eastern Market as much as everyone else. Perhaps it's because his legs are so much shorter?

A skilled pair of hands. I was back on Sunday as well, walking around with a friend, and the artist was still working on this same panel.

Ditto for the kid above.

This photo and the next are of artist Jackson Collins. Painting is by no means a neat endeavor. Oh, and his pictures are pretty good as well.


And now on to the next set. While I was waiting for Metro, I decided to play around a bit with some pictures. All I can say is god bless digital. The ability to look at the picture right after you take it is, in a term, life-changing. Being able to make adjustments on the fly to shutter speed and aperture makes picture taking so much more enjoyable.
.
Anyway, as you can see, this set of pics (Eastern Market and L'Enfant Plaza) the exposures are kinda long, about a half second. Next time I try this I'm definitely using my monopod to stabilize the shots, but these didn't turn out so bad. Also, it's kinda interesting, when a train is coming into the station, how still people stand. And for that I'm thankful.
.
At Eastern Market
.
If you look between the girl in the middle and the guy on the right in the picture below, you can still see the ghostly image of the "Eastern Market" sign through the windows of the train. Cool.

At L'Enfant
.


Hope everyone's week is off to a good start.

6 comments:

Liebchen said...

I really like that first metro shot, where you can just the see Eastern Market sign.

And the one with the hands from Eastern Market - very cool.

Alice said...

damn, i think REGULAR mannequins / wig stands are creepy. that one is like NIGHTMARE level creepy.

the metro shots are freaking awesome!

magnolia said...

eastern market! i left for law school 2 months after the fire in '07. how's it looking these days? i miss the hell out of that place.

FoggyDew said...

Liebchen - The guy was looking at me a little funny, but it doesn't matter since I was shooting his hands. The metro ones were fun, like I said, I need to set up some to really do it right.

Alice - the worst part is that wasn't the only one. there was a whole tribe of creepy mannequins. They just stared at you as they waved in the breeze.

magnolia - don't tell anyone I said this but the fire was probably the best thing that could have happened to EM. It's all nice and new and bright and shinny now. It'll last another hundred years.

hannah said...

Shame I missed you in my neighborhood! I live 3 blocks from the Market. I actually love that mannequin, although I recognize I may be the only one who does. I've got a bunch of photos of me and my friends standing by it, trying to imitate her facial expression.

FoggyDew said...

hannah - If only I'd known. Doh! Next time, definitely. They say admitting you have a problem is the first step...