Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Random picture day

Last Sunday, instead of lazying about on the couch and watching football like any good, red-blooded American man, I headed up to Bethesda with a friend for the Dieciocho festival. For those of you who, like me, have a Spanish vocabulary limited to the menu at Taco Bell, the festival was a celebration of Chile's independence. Food, music and games abounded.

For a better description than I can offer here, head over to my friend Fresh Muddy Waters' place. She does it much more justice than I ever could. Except in pictures, of which, I offer these:

It was a hard-fought match, but the kids on the left side emerged victorious.

Thank goodness for instant replay or we never would have caught the holding.

Yeah, the kid on the right side won this heat.

This kinda reminds me of the Far Side cartoon of the porcupine child playing with the balloon: It's not going to end well. Thankfully his sister was there to make more bubbles.

This little guy was having a ball with his Bubble Gun. I really need to get me one of these.

Does this really need a description?

The friday night before the Dieciocho, this was the view from my balcony. Not quite fall yet, but the evening sky is getting close.



Red sky at night: A sailor's delight.

7 comments:

Liebchen said...

I love when you post your photos. I especially love the little kid on his dad's shoulders. Too cute.

FoggyDew said...

Liebchen - Well thank you very much. I like putting them up for y'all. Folks kept getting in my way on that picture, but I kept bobbing and weaving and I finally got it (with some creative cropping).

Alice said...

red sky in the morning; sailors take warning.. :-)

Sebastian Anthony said...

Ach, I love the Farside... and that cartoon in particular's awesome. I can see it now...!

We've had a few bubble guns over the years. My dad loves useless presents like that at Christmas.

They're great but really, really messy. They go through a lot of bubble-making liquid...! And that has to go somewhere...

Unknown said...

That looks so much fun. I miss potato sack races :(

FoggyDew said...

Seb - Good thing they were playing with them outside, although I do distinctly remember putting my hand over my lens to protect it from bubbles. Now that would have been a mess.

Meghan - I say you get some friends together, grab some sacks and hop, hop, hop the day away.

rachaelgking said...

18,000 points for the Far Side reference. And also how darn cute that munchkin is.