Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Who's in?

I saw a show about this years ago on Discovery or one of those channels and it has intrigued me ever since. I've always wanted to go, but haven't, until this year, had the time.
.
So, the question is this: Who's with me? Who else wants to go to the 2009 World Championship Punkin Chunkin?
As you can see, it takes place Nov. 6, 7 and 8 over in Delaware. Folks from all over show up and there's camping and such, but I'm just thinking of driving up for the day to see men like this:
.
go for the world record punkin chunk. The current record, set last year by Young Glory III is 4,483.51 feet. Perhaps, if we're lucky, we'll get to see someone break that mythical barrier of 5,280 feet. Like Chuck Yeager through the sound barrier, the first team to chunk a punkin a mile, well my friend, their names are sure to go down in history.
.

10 comments:

Lemmonex said...

Um, dont be hatin' on the Punkin Chunkin! it is a HUGE deal in the DE.

FoggyDew said...

Lemmy - I am in no way making fun of the Pumkin Chunkin. I'm totally serious about going. I am a boy who loves any and all things that go "Boom!"

A said...

Sounds like a lawsuit just waiting to happen...

FoggyDew said...

A - Only if they point 'em north. The Pumkin Chunkin has been an ongoing event for years soooo, I'm guessing they've ironed out the liability issues. I hope.

Liebchen said...

That sounds kind of amazing, actually.

I'm also a fan of things that go boom.

FoggyDew said...

Liebchen - One of the reasons I went into military journalism: they blow a lota shit up. I'll put ya on the mailing list.

Also, I just noticed, I've been spelling the name of the contest wrong in the comments. It's Punkin Chunkin, not pumkin, which is something they do in some nearby states.

rachaelgking said...

It's like Nascar times a BAZILLION.

Redhead said...

They have something like this on a smaller scale at Butler's Orchard. It was totally cool because they chucked them at cars. (Not patrons' cars...)

If you are in, I'm in. I'll bring the bourbon.

K

Sebastian Anthony said...

Always wondered... why is it chunkin' and not chuckin'?

'Chunking' brings to mind 'vomiting'. I can't be the only person that has wondered about this...

And that contraption looks AMAZING.

Looks like it fires very small pumpkins tho'!

Sebastian Anthony said...

Incidentally, a baby probably has about the same diameter as a small pumpkin...

Just sayin'.