Sunday, August 24, 2008

Get it while it lasts...

One of those random things that happens every once in a while happened to me today. As I was driving through Clarendon I noticed, shamefully and for the first time, Orpheus Records (3173 Wilson Boulevard).

It's a great little record shop, yeah, records. Its shelves are filled with all the vinyl of my youth - The Psychedelic Furs, Billy Joel's Innocent Man, Billy Idol - the records I saved my sparse allowance to buy. I searched for the laser-cut issue of Styx's Paradise Theater but, alas, was unable to find one. 

Unfortunately I no longer have a turntable, but I heard they're coming back (GQ says so). I had to satisfy myself with a couple of CDs (4 for $20). 

Why am I telling you this? Well, it wasn't Orpheus' sign that caught my eye, but the large red-and-white "Going Out Of Business" sign hanging just below. 

So, if you're a vinyl fan I recommend a trip over to Arlington, you may just discover a gem from your past.

1 comment:

Capitol Hill 20210 said...

very cool and I have that Styx album in a box somewhere - I treasured that and thought it was the most beautiful album back in the day.

I am some Shawn Cassidy hanging around in that box - hahaha