Thursday, November 13, 2008

Quick enforcement of the law...

Yesterday Arjewtino was kind enough to let me know I'd been "called out" in Wednesday's Letter to the Editor in The Express about my post last week criticizing California voters and their stupidity. Here's a screen shot of the letter:


I have two things to say about this letter. First, that was a really quick exercise of Godwin's Law:
"As a Usenet discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches one."

There were only 13 comments on the post and neither I, nor anyone else who commented, ever came anywhere close to calling the good people of the Golden State Nazis. It was so much easier to just make fun of their stunted intellectual development.

The comments ran the spectrum from anonymous criticism of me for singling out Apple Inc. despite its opposition to Prop 8, to the final two comments from a reader named "Sarah" calling me and others hypocrites for, wait, let me make sure I get this right, "Making jabs at religious groups while stereotyping those entities as gay-hating cults..."

Perhaps. Perhaps not. Time will tell.

I have been doing some thinking on the subject during the past week or so, and I'm still organizing my thoughts before digging into the passage of Prop 8 (and other like it across the country last Tuesday and before). So sue me. It's been a busy week at work.

Second, and more personally, this comment goes out to the editors of The Express (who have committed this sin twice) and Mr. Dino Drudi who apparently didn't bother reading the whole post because, if he had, he would have known the name of this blog is not, in fact, theliffeyswell.blogspot.com.

The name of the blog is The Foggy Dew
, kinda like how shannonstamey.blogspot.com is the address of my good friend the Disaffected Scanner Jockey. To my eternal regret, when I created this little virtual soapbox, "thefoggydew.blogspot.com" wasn't available to me, so I went with the next best thing.

A little background: The Foggy Dew is a song of revolution and rebellion lamenting the failed 1916 Easter Uprising in Dublin. Here's the first verse of the song, and the connection between "the Liffey swell" and "The Foggy Dew."

"As down the glen one Easter morn to a city fair rode I
There Armed lines of marching men in squadrons passed me by
No pipe did hum nor battle drum did sound its loud tattoo
But the Angelus Bell
o'er the Liffey's swell rang out through the foggy dew"

OK, rant over. Let's get it right next time.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

The thing I don't understand about Dino's letter is how it veers from addressing your post to providing some abbreviated history lesson to finally making absolutely no point at all.

FoggyDew said...

Pointless, and yet he somehow linked radical environmentalists and religious conservatives together as fascists.

That takes some work.

FoggyDew said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Shannon said...

I would think any form of disagreeing with Dino would make him brand you a fascist. But, wait...does that make Dino a fascist?

Pow. My brain just imploded.

PS - my verification word is, "winges"

FoggyDew said...

OK, clue me in here, who is this Dino you speak of (aside from the guy who wrote the letter)?

rachaelgking said...

Good for you, stick it to the man. Except he's only going to read 3 sentences of it and print it as your apology letter.