Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Music, play music

My nephew turned 11 last week, so in addition to the required card with a Jackson inside, I made him an additional offer: to increase his music collection. I told him if there was any music he wanted that I have I'd be happy burn it and send it along. And, since he said he only has "about 43 songs on my iPod" how could I pass up the chance to profoundly influence (read: corrupt) the musical tastes of the next generation of Dews?

Actually, when I was looking through his Touch at New Years, I was kinda impressed with some of the stuff he already had on there, namely The Stones. I was less than awed though, by the fact that virtually the next "artist" in the list was Taco and his "Putting on the Ritz." That song was fine in the 80s, but it's just wrong now.

He also kinda whispered into the phone, to show me how cool he is (and he is, he's gonna get all the girls in about a couple of years), "I already have two songs with the F-word in them."

So my question is this: do I expand on my 11-year-old nephew's collection of songs with "bad" words in them? I'm personally of the opinion there is no such thing. My sister, on the other hand, might not be so quick to agree.

He's asked for some AC/DC, Green Day, rap and, warming my heart to no end, some jazz to "help me mellow out." I can do all of this, but do I send him Union Underground, System of A Down and Marilyn Manson? (I've already decided to include Barenaked Ladies and Ben Folds.) Or, like with the set of miniature steel drums I so desperately wanted to send him for Christmas when he was 4 or 5, do I hold back? (This decision last was easy in retrospect, my sister would have someday, when I have children, repaid this debt with full interest and a little extra thrown in for good measure.)

It's not like I'm going to send him the Ghetto Boys (this'd be funny, but there are some lines even I won't cross), but what's wrong with a little Ice-T or Snoop?

17 comments:

Lemon Gloria said...

OK, first of all, I LOVE that Puttin on the Ritz song. Still.

And doesn't iTunes have two versions of songs - clean and explicit, or something like that? Although personally, I think by 11 he's heard everything anyway. But maybe check before you get in trouble with his mom?

Lemmonex said...

Send him Tpac's "Hit 'Em Up". I love that song and he would get his fill of the "f word" that is for sure.

Capitol Hill 20210 said...

Such a good Uncle you are! A little Snoop Dogg wouldn't hurt.

Some of Marilyns stuff is ok except the one song Para Noir haha.

Fearless in Toronto said...

Coolest uncle ever! I concur with Lisa that chances are good that he has heard it already.

rachaelgking said...

I agree with Lisa that a lot of songs have two versions out... you could make him a mix with the PG-13. At the same time, he's definitely heard it before... but that doesn't mean you need to be a catalyst. I probably wouldn't go much further than BNL for now. But DEFINITELY give him the BNL!

Anonymous said...

Hmmm, yes, hold off on the steel drums because karma is, indeed, a bitch. If you are responsible for his musical education, maybe it should progress a little like grades. If Barenaked Ladies is 11, maybe Marilyn Mason is 15 or 16.

Anonymous said...

I'm not one to judge on sharing lyrics with curse words or corruption/spoiling the next generation of family in general. I must warn you though, I looked my nephew up on Facebook the other day and was shocked, SHOCKED at his profile photo. Abs, underwear - I closed the browser immediately. It's probably different for guys - if you'd seen the photo you might have been proud. Or sent him "Let's Get it On".

FoggyDew said...

Lisa - I was going to make a mom joke here about music, but I won't. It's not so much an iTunes thing, rather I'll be putting this together from my collection of 12k songs. Seriously? Taco? How 'bout some Murray Head and "One Night in Bangkok"?

Lem - A woman after my own heart. I think I may even have that tune.

Zip - How 'bout some -T and Body Count?

Fearless - It was funny, but it seemed like such a point of pride he had "bad" songs. Like it made him cooler. I'd love it if he were bootlegging copies to his friends at his really upscale private school.

LiLu - Every 11-year-old needs some Barenaked Ladies.

Single Girl - Probably not a bad idea. How about if I "accidently" slipped a little "steel drum" in the mix? Would that be wrong?

FoggyDew said...

HKW - You're right, I probably would be shocked. Shocked until I remember I too was a boy once and did more stupid things better and faster than today's kids would even dream of doing in their insulated by mom and dad little worlds.

lacochran said...

Not Snoop.

That is all.

Fearless in Toronto said...

I forgot to mention how impressed I am that anyone south of the state of New York has even HEARD of BNL. I know they are somewhat well known, but to me they are always going to be those hilarious, slightly nerdy boys busking outside of the MuchMusic building.

FoggyDew said...

lacochran - No Snoop?? Aww, c'mon, yer killing me. But it will be taken under consideration.

Fearless - Not only have we heard of BNL, they were HUGE down in Chapel Hill, N.C. Maybe it was just the music scene there, but I've always liked them.

JoLee said...

A little 'F' word never hurt anyone. Go ahead and put songs on his ipod that have cuss words in them but leave out anything about 'big booty sluts' or 'smacking my bitches'

lacochran said...

Oh, and I once bought my nephew a toy saxophone.

Heeheehee.

FoggyDew said...

JoLee - So it's lookin' like the collective wisdom is against any decent rap music. Perhaps I'll refrain, perhaps not.

lacochran - Toy sax = priceless. The question is did karma come back to bite you in the butt?

Malnurtured Snay said...

I also have Taco's "Putting on the Ritz" on my iPod. Love it.

Malnurtured Snay said...

Reading comments here: I, too, have Murray Head's "One Night in Bangkok" on my iPod.

I'm still trying to get 88 Lines About 44 Women ...