Friday, February 13, 2009

Snips and Snails…

How appropriate is it that Friday the 13th falls the day before Valentine’s Day? Of course, February 13 always comes the day before Valentine’s Day, but for some reason I’m intrigued by the coincidence of the two dates this year.

I’m wondering how many men are going to make decisions today or, rather, more likely fail to make decisions that will to lead to disasters tomorrow. It’s funny when it happens in the movies, not so funny when you’re personally involved.

In this life I have loved three very different and exceptionally beautiful women and, amazingly, been lucky enough to have them feel the same way about me. Just writing that sentence brought a smile to my face as memories flood back. I don’t know if three loves over the course of my adult life (so far) is a lot, but it feels about right. (Yes, for those of you asking, scientists are hard at work trying to figure out how three women could have fallen in love with the Foggy Dew. Seriously, this is Nobel-level work.)

The funny thing is for those three beautiful faces there are nothing but the vaguest memories of Valentine’s Days past. The only way I can explain it is when you love someone, February 14 isn’t sooo important because you demonstrate your love every day. Not just once a year in a big, over-the-top commercial way.

The memories I do have of Valentine’s Day are of those February 14ths when my reach exceeded my grasp. The ones that didn’t go … quite so well. Why is it a holiday dedicated in our minds to love is so often seared into our memories because of (generally male) screw-ups and forgetfulness?

We men are, at our essence very simple creatures. Barely evolved beyond single-celled organisms in some ways. You have to remember for us it’s not so much just having the thought count, but rather the actual physical act of engaging our brains beyond the necessary imperative drives of food, shelter and … and … Hey look! The game’s on!

In “The Break Up” Brook says, “I want you to want to do the dishes.” To which Gary gives the perfect, unfiltered guy response: “Why would I want to do the dishes?” (Note: I don’t mind doing the dishes, this is merely an example of typical guy thinking.)

Translated to today and tomorrow’s events it could also be written this way: Honey Bunny, “Oh, you don’t have to do anything special for Valentine’s Day. Just being with you is enough for me.” Dude, “OK.”

See? Simple. Literal. And then we wonder what we did to piss off the women we love.

This year I find myself quite single and, unless something extraordinary happens in the next 24 or so hours, February 14 will pass me by quietly. It’s a very slight disappointment personally because, no matter what I’ve written above, society-at-large demands coupling of us all. But I’ll deal with that.

I’m a guy.

10 comments:

rachaelgking said...

A someecard isn't enough? Crap.

Shannon said...

Let's see, the only Valentine's Day that really stood out for me was the one where the guy I was seeing took me to this really cute French restaurant.

I promptly fell asleep, face-first into the salmon. Sexy!

FoggyDew said...

LiLu - Would you mind if all you got was a someecard? It's enough for me, but I'm not the one you have to please.

Shannon - That's funny. Did you wake up right away? Or did you snore a bit before stirring for dessert?

lacochran said...

The beauty of getting past Valentine's Day is all that left over chocolate goes on sale. :)

JoLee said...

I refuse to celebrate V-day. I think it's a waste of money and flowers. However, I say that while looking at the 2 dozen red roses on my desk that were just delivered.

Anonymous said...

Dive bar and PBR with a fellow single gal= HP's Valentine's Day ritual.

FoggyDew said...

lacochran - You can never, ever go wrong with half-price chocolate.

JoLee - I bet you typed that with a smile on your face too. Two dozen roses? Someone thinks you're pretty special.

HP - Will Hank Jr. be singing "Friends in Low Places" in the background? Good for you for having a tried and true plan.

Anonymous said...

Happy Valentines Day! Not just for couples - I send Valentines to friends who are like family. My only issue with Valentines Day is the colors pink and red, which don't go well together and this time of year the pharmacy and grocer are covered in bright pink and red.

FoggyDew said...

HKW - Welcome. In early February it does often look like someone spilled a giant bottle of Pepto all around.

Sid said...

I went clubbing on Valentines Day. That seemed to work well for me. No moping about being single.